Hello Troop! Over the past few weeks we have worked diligently on the Digital Technology Merit Badge. However we can’t complete this badge completely online. I have duplicated the entire list of requirements below and noted which ones will have to be completed on your own.
How do you get credit? For some items you can simply send me an email. For some you need to contact me and schedule a video chat. Note that it is your responsibility to work through the remaining requirements, nobody is going to nag you / remind you to finish. 🙂
The full requirements can be found / reviewed here. If there is any discrepancy between what I wrote below and the official requirements, of course the official requirements must be followed.
Remaining Items to do on your own are bold below.
- Complete your Cyber Chip program as appropriate for your age / grade.
Requirement 2 – Completed April 6
- Brief history of Digital Technology over time
- How does digital technology compare now to your parent or grandparent’s time?
- Describe what kinds of computers or devices you might imagine when you are an adult
Requirement 3 – Completed April 6
- How are text, images, sound and video digitized?
- Describe difference between lossy and lossless compression
- Describe two digital devices and how they are made more useful with their programming
- Discuss similarities and differences between computers, mobile devices, and gaming consoles
- Explain what a computer network is and describe its purpose
Requirement 4 – Completed April 6
- Explain what a program or software application or “app” is and how it’s created
- Name four software programs that you or your family uses and explain how each helps you
- Describe what “malware” is and explain how to protect your digital devices and the information stored on them.
Requirement 5 – Partially Completed April 6, must do remainder at home
- Describe how digital devices are connected to the Internet. (Done)
- Using an Internet search engine (with your parent’s permission), find ideas about how to conduct a troop court of honor or campfire program. Print out a copy of the ideas from at least three different websites. Share what you found with your counselor, and explain how you used the search engine to find this information.
- Use a Web browser to connect to an HTTPS (secure) website (with your parent’s permission). Explain to your counselor how to tell whether the site’s security certificate can be trusted, and what it means to use this kind of connection.
Requirement 6 – Do three of the following requirements at home
- Using a spreadsheet or database program, develop a food budget for a patrol weekend camp out OR create a troop roster that includes the name, rank, patrol, and telephone number of each Scout. Show your counselor that you can sort the roster by each of the following categories: rank, patrol, and alphabetically by name.
- Using a word processor, write a draft letter to the parents of your troop’s Scouts, inviting them to a troop event.
- Using a graphics program, design and draw a campsite plan for your troop OR create a flier for an upcoming troop event, incorporating text and some type of visual such as a photograph or an illustration.
- Using a presentation software program, develop a report about a topic approved by your counselor. For your presentation, create at least five slides, with each one incorporating text and some type of visual such as a photograph or an illustration.
- Using a digital device, take a picture of a troop activity. Send or transfer this image to a device where the picture can be shared with your counselor.
- Make a digital recording of your voice, transfer the file to a different device, and have your counselor play back the recording.
- Create a blog and use it as an online journal of your Scouting activities, including group discussions and meetings, camp outs, and other events. Include at least five entries and two photographs or illustrations. Share your blog with your counselor. You need not post the blog to the Internet; however, if you choose to go live with your blog, you must first share it with your parents AND counselor AND get their approval.
- Create a Web page for your troop, patrol, school, or place of worship. Include at least three articles and two photographs or illustrations. Include at least one link to a website of interest to your audience. You need not post the page to the Internet; however, if you decide to do so, you must first share the Web page with your parents AND counselor AND get their approval.
Requirement 7 – Completed April 13
- Explain to your counselor each of these protections and why they exist: copyright, patents, trademarks, trade secrets.
- Explain when it is permissible to accept a free copy of a program from a friend.
- Discuss with your counselor an article or a news report about a recent legal case involving an intellectual property dispute.
Requirement 8 – Do two of the following, Completed April 20
- Describe why it is important to properly dispose of digital technology. List at least three dangerous chemicals that could be used to create digital devices or used inside a digital device.
- Explain to your counselor what is required to become a certified recycler of digital technology hardware or devices.
- Do an Internet search for an organization that collects discarded digital technology hardware or devices for repurposing or recycling. Find out what happens to that waste. Share with your counselor what you found.
- Visit a recycling center that disposes of digital technology hardware or devices. Find out what happens to that waste. Share what you learned with your counselor.
- Find a battery recycling center near you and find out what it does to recycle batteries. Share what you have learned with your counselor about the proper methods for recycling batteries.
Requirement 9 – Do one of the following at home and review with me
- Investigate three career opportunities that involve digital technology. Pick one and find out the education, training, and experience required for this profession. Discuss this with your counselor, and explain why this profession might interest you. (Complete individually, report to me via email or schedule video chat)
- Visit a business or an industrial facility that uses digital technology. Describe four ways digital technology is being used there. Share what you learned with your counselor. (Will need to wait until participation restrictions are lifted.)